I am still amazed at how people only seem to get interested in a topic when it directly affects them. I chronically see the attitude of “that could never happen to me” when working with people in this city as there is a sense of ambivalence to the problems facing many home and condo owners, simply because the folks in charge never have anything go wrong. The sad news is that Calgary’s “faulty towers” syndrome is only going to get worse, and could grow to affect those who aren’t currently batting an eyelash to any of the issues I see on a daily basis. With Calgary’s weather changing and our springs becoming wetter than they had previously, the time to take action is now. Call or e-mail your MLA and let them know your concerns. In particular, let them know about the need to:
1. Rewrite the Alberta Building Code
2. Rewrite the Condo Property Act
3. Take the inspection process out of the municipalities hands to make it a separate entity
4. Hold the builders accountable personally, not to their company
5. Make property management companies and condo review companies licensed and take some liability have a technical audit completed on all newly constructed condos paid for by the developer with an independent engineering company
6. Use the Ontario model as a template
I have been preaching these things for years. Often, I am told to shut my big mouth and carry on, but I cannot. These are urgent, pressing matters which need to be dealt with now more than ever. With enough people asking for the same thing, perhaps real change can come about.